This is a post where I would greatly enjoy male feedback in the comments section.
Today while scouring the internet for some benign topic about dating, I came across a post at TopDatingTips.com. It essentially states, “If we accept that dating is a game, then there are rules to that game. There are winners and losers.” They continue on with a list of “rules” that should be applied and followed in order to be successful in the dating world, even online dating. Hmmm.
Although my initial reaction is to retaliate and completely disagree with this whole concept, it seems that it is painfully true. I naturally comply with almost all of the online dating rules and fail miserably at the general dating rules. But when I read the general dating rules, it’s literally written as if you are playing a strategy game. I don’t think I could comply with these rules even if I wanted to! I’m too old for games – If I wanted to play games, I’d play board games with my roommate!
So I’m going to list the “rules” and hope that I get some stellar feedback on here from the male community. Men – have these “rules” ever been employed on you? Does it work? I mean, are you guys really attracted to this kind of thing? Let me know! The suspense is killing me! And if this is true, I’ve definitely been going about things the wrong way…
“General Dating Rules”
- Always look great, whatever your income. Gorgeous hair and some lipstick with rags will still turn his head. You have the advantage. You are the woman. Look your best as you could meet a potential Mr. Right anywhere at any time.
- Never reveal information you don’t have to. An enigmatic woman drives men wild.
- Keep dates brief, but your men interested. Less is always more.
- Try and stay in shape and involve some fitness regime at a gym. However much you hate it, your Mr. Right loves your body as much as your mind.
- Let your man pay. If he is interested, he is interested enough to ensure you eat well and get home safely in a cab.
- Ensure you receive flowers. If he doesn’t know what a florist is, dump him.
- Never ever sleep with a guy until he has fallen for you. Sex early in your dating game plan will ruin everything.
- Always keep a guy waiting and never turn up early. It is a lady’s perogative.
- Never be available when he wants you to be. Never be at the end of a phone when he calls and always let him leave a message or two first before replying.
- If he is available Tuesday, you are available Thursday.
- Weekend shopping trips with girlfriends are sacred and not available for dates.
- Keep your man standing on quicksand by shifting landmarks and goalposts constantly.
- Ensure you are a good kisser. Men will walk away if you cannot kiss. Practice on a mirror if you have to.
- Never ever talk about previous boyfriends, particularly their prowess in the bedroom. Your ex-boyfriends are your business only.
- Never assume anything about your date until you choose to know him better. You cannot always tell by looking.
- If any man shows the slightest signs of possessiveness or insecurity, run like the wind. Life is too short for boys.
- If his shoes or hygiene are a disgrace, dump him.
- Never talk too much about your father and how your date measures up in comparison.
- Never ever come across as too available or too desperate. He will run a mile. He is the one doing the chasing.
- If the guy in the corner is gorgeous, go get him and create the need in him for you. Never wait for men to come to you because you may watch him leave with someone else.
- You may well have all the bodily functions of a man, just try not to demonstrate them early on.
- If you want a child, don’t mention it on the first few dates.
- Never ever criticize his mother unless you want to remain single.
“Online Dating Rules”
- Always let them come to you, don’t chase them via email.
- Block anyone who annoys you instantly.
- Post the best and most vampish photo you can find.
- Don’t reply to instant messages with clever opening lines.
- Remain aloof and let yourself be chased.
- Always reply to emails at least 3 days after receipt.
- Never provide your real email or phone details.
- Always date safely and protect yourself at every turn.
- Make sure your login name is stunning and sexy, as well as enigmatic.
- Do not login for hours on end. Short, rapid visits are best.
- Do not assume the person you are talking to is destitute or sad.
- Never ever reply to emails on weekends. Wait until a weekday.
- Never state how good your sexual performance is in your profile.
- If you don’t want to date married men, spell it out in your profile.
- A man who doesn’t reply to your email within 3 days should be ignored.
- Make sure your humor levels come across in text.
- Do not chat to hundreds of men at once. The delay in replying is a dead giveaway and your Mr. Right will be off.
- Don’t even think about misrepresenting your size or description. They will find out.
- Come across as cool and sophisticated for best results
- The Rules for Online Dating: Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right in Cyberspace Reviews (datingrulez.com)
- Ok, Ok Cupid (digitaria.com)
- What Men should NOT do on a first or second date. (julietjeske.wordpress.com)
- Dating for Free Dinners Isn’t Unethical says Online Dating Expert (prweb.com)